Take our ‘Is self-drive travel in southern Africa for you?‘ quiz to see whether self-travel will suit you for your safari in southern Africa.
1. Do you like having independence in your travels?
If you enjoy some level of independence in your travels you should certainly consider self-drive travel options as they allow you to:
· Completely tailor-make your itinerary. Travel Africa will work closely with you to custom design your self-drive holiday so it meets your every need and expectation. This includes meeting your needs around food, accommodation, pacing and timing.
· You can do your entire trip independently, choosing exactly what you want to do, when and how. Alternately, we can build some guided tours into your self-drive holiday at various places. You can also mix and match some self-drive legs of your trip with packages and escorted tours (for example, you can fly to Cape Town and Victoria Falls and do guided tours in those locations, then do a self-drive safari in Kruger National Park).
No: If you don’t like have too much independence and prefer to have a holiday where someone looks after you, then an independent self-drive holiday may not be for you and you might want to consider our guided tours and packages. Alternatively, if you enjoy the outdoors and camping but are nervous about taking on an independent self-drive safari then consider a guided self-drive safari or a guided mobile camping safari.
2. Do you like doing things at your own pace and having flexibility with your travels?
Self-drive could be perfect for you as you will be in control of your trip and can:
· Stop and start whenever you want. This includes deciding when you want to get up in the morning and take to the road, staying with any interesting animals or birds you may spot in a game reserve, waiting at a dam for animals to emerge while you read a book or play some games, and picking your own places to stop for lunch or a break.
· Find nice places to eat or buy new foods at a market to self-cater.
· Take safe detours to interesting locations.
· Visit places not on your original itinerary.
No : If you don’t like have too much flexibility and prefer to have a pre-determined holiday where everything is carefully planned, then a self-drive holiday may not be for you and you might want to consider our guided tours and packages.
3. Are you travelling with a group or family?
Self-drive travel is perfect for families and groups. Economies of scale save costs (the cost of a hiring a vehicles is the same whether you have 2, 3, 4 or 5 people in the car), families and groups can take advantage of the independence and flexibility of self-drive travel, and if you travel with more than 1 vehicle you can tackle even more adventurous terrain.
No: Self-drive travel is perfect for couples, families, friends and groups. If you are a solo traveller you may want to consider our guided tours and packages.
4. Are you looking for more affordable travel options?
Self-drive travel costs less than tours and packages. This is due to saving costs in a range of areas including:
· Escorted transport.
· Catered meals.
No: If budget is not an issue for you can really spoil yourself during one of our self-drive safaris. Alternatively, consider our guided tours and packages.
5. Do you like to get off the beaten track during your holiday?
Self-drive could be perfect for you! As you will be in control of your trip we can build lots of exciting off the beaten track destinations into your itinerary – indeed you can experience incredible, less visited places that many tours and packages completely leave off the map!
No: If you don’t like getting off the beaten track and prefer to enjoy tried and tested destinations, then a self-drive holiday may still be for you as many of our trips focus on the best of southern Africa. However, you might want to also consider our guided tours and packages
Do you like the camping in the great outdoors?
Yes: If you love camping then definitely consider a self-drive safari. Our itineraries take to so many fantastic campsites in incredible destinations (link). Many people also like to mix and match, mixing camping and accommodation throughout their trip. If you love the idea of camping but are a bit nervous about an independent self-dive safari then then consider a guided self-drive safari or a guided mobile camping safari.
No: Self drive travel doesn’t have to involve camping. If you don’t enjoy camping, we have arrange of accommodated self-drive itineraries which take advantage of the fantastic accommodation southern Africa has to offer.
6. Do you like more adventurous travel and taking on some challenges such as 4WDing, spotting animals and navigating your own way to places?
Self-drive could be perfect for you! Depending on what you like we can build lots of adventures into your itinerary, including four wheel driving and looking for animals in remote game reserves.
No: Self drive travel doesn’t have to involve four wheel driving or more adventurous travel. However, if you don’t like more adventurous travel and prefer to enjoy tried and tested destinations, then a self-drive holiday may not be for you and you might want to consider our guided tours and packages.
7. Do you think self-drive travel in southern Africa is for you but are still nervous?
With Travel Africa you are safe in the knowledge that you are working with people who are experts in self-drive travel. We have driven the types of vehicles you are looking to hire and driven them in the places, and on the road conditions, that you will experience. We have enjoyed all kinds of self-drive trips in southern Africa for over 25 years – from quick flits along the Garden Route in stand vehicles to 8 month adventure trips with fully equipped 4x4s and roof top tents throughout southern Africa.
We give you peace of mind by working closely with you to custom-make and book your itinerary – ensuring you have the most appropriate type of vehicle and accommodation for your trip. We also provide you with detailed trip dossiers, which include routes, directions, tips and hints on driving in southern Africa and in game reserves, ensuring you have all the information you need to enjoy every minute of your trip and feel comfortable and secure with your holiday plan!
Our in-depth knowledge of destinations, conditions, vehicles and equipment, based on extensive personal experience, gives you the peace of mind you need for your self-drive safari.
We hope this blog quiz has helped you answer the question: Is self-drive travel in southern Africa for you? If you want more details, have any further questions or would like to start planning your fantastic holiday in southern Africa, do contact us now.
Also see the following web pages and blogs for more information: