Self-Drive Namibia, Botswana, Zimbabwe: including the Okavango Delta - 25 days
Three countries, three fantastic game reserves, two natural wonders and so many amazing highlights - this camping trip has it all. Take to the road with your fully equipped 4x4 camping vehicle in revel in the desert landscapes of Namibia, the wildlife of Botswana and Zimbabwe’s mighty Zambezi River and thunderous Victoria Falls. Along the way you will visit the stunning sand dunes of Sossusvlei, track elephant and rhino in Damaraland, be mesmerised by the shimmering Etosha Pan and its abundant wildlife, spend time with the San Bushman, glide effortlessly through the reed-lined channels and walk with the animals in the Okavango Delta, and view the epic wildlife along the Chobe Waterfront. Read our blog A day in the life of a self-drive safari to get a sense of what a self-drive safari can involve. A trip not to be missed!
A word of advice - travel distances in Namibia, whilst not being huge, take longer than Google Maps suggest, as the majority of roads you travel on are gravel.
End: Victoria Falls
(Itinerary can be done in reverse)
- 4x4 hire – 4x4 dual cab with 1 rooftop tent including all camping equipment (Toyota Hilux or similar). Pick up Windhoek International (Hosea Kutako) Airport, drop off Kasane Airport. For details of the vehicle types available please see - Self Drive Safaris.
- 4x4 hire vehicle cover - unlimited kilometres, collision damage waiver (NAD$30,000 excess), second driver, taxes and tourism levies, introduction to vehicle, travel pack and GPS unit.
- Accommodation as indicated below.
- Meals as indicated below.
- 3 day / 2 night guided mobile camping safari to the Eastern Okavango Delta.
- Road transfers: Kasane - Victoria Falls & Victoria Falls hotel to airport.
- Tour of Victoria Falls.
- Zambezi Sunset Cruise.
- Relevant Travel Africa Information sheets.
- 4x4 hire insurance upgrade (excess reduction or removal).
- All cross border fees / taxes imposed by each individual country (i.e third party insurances, road taxes, carbon taxes etc) - all paid locally (full details to be advised with booking).
- Entry fees to national parks and places of interest.
- All activities unless indicated below.
- All meals unless indicated below.
- Visa fees.
- Personal insurance.
We give you peace of mind by working closely with you to custom-make and book your itinerary – ensuring you have the most appropriate type of vehicle and accommodation for your trip. We also provide you with detailed trip dossiers, which include routes, directions, tips and hints on driving in southern Africa, ensuring you have all the information you need to enjoy every minute of your trip and feel comfortable and secure with your holiday plan!
Our in-depth knowledge of destinations, conditions, vehicles and equipment, based on extensive personal experience, gives you the peace of mind you need for your self-drive safari.
Elegant Guesthouse or similar
Sesriem Campsite or similar
Swakopmund Guesthouse or similar (camping not recommended as Swakopmund can get very cold and foggy)
Madisa Campsite or similar
Palmwag Lodge Campsite or similar
Okaukuejo Rest Camp (2 nights) and Namutoni Rest Camp (1 night) or similar
Tsumkwe Lodge campsite or similar
Island Safari Lodge Campsite or similar
Leave your vehicle securely parked in Maun and join your guide for a two night safari adventure into Botswana's Okavango Delta. You will drive out of Maun in a 4x4 vehicle until you reach the polers station on the edge of the Delta where you will climb aboard your mokoro (a traditional dugout canoe) to be transported through the reed lined channels to your island home for 2 nights.
Mid-afternoon you will arrive at your mobile tented camp and meet the camp staff who will hosts during your stay. A brief introduction to the camp will show you your dome tent with twin beds and a bush en-suite bathroom – long drop toilet and a bucket shower - and the mess tent where you can relax and where you will take your meals. Activities at the camp include mokoro trails and guided walks.
Most days follow a similar pattern, up before the sun, you set out on foot, to explore the area in search of game before returning for breakfast and time to catch up on your reading or view the birdlife from the mess tent. After lunch, the time is yours to relax or have a go at poling the mekoros or ask the guides to find a swim spot for you, before your afternoon activity. Return to camp in the late afternoon for a sundowner while your dinner is being prepared.
During the evening your hosts can be encouraged to share stories around the fire of their lives and lands. Be prepared as if your Botswanan hosts put on a song for you they will expect one in return! As the evening draws to a close lay back and listen to the music of life – the sounds of the African bush!
On your last morning there is time for a final activity before meandering down the pristine channels back to the polers station whee it is time to bid farewell to your Delta friends as you return to Maun.
Mobile tented safari camp in the Okavango Delta (includes full board meals and all safari activities)
Okavango Delta Add-On option: As the perfect add-on to your Botswana trip or, instead of your Eastern Delta safari experience, why not let Travel Africa assist you with a fly-in package to stay at one of the lodges / camps in the Delta's heart.
Island Safari Lodge Campsite or similar
Planet Baobab campsite or similar
Chobe Safari Lodge Campsite or similar
Amadeus Garden Guest House or similar
Victoria Falls Add-On options:
Travel Africa can assist you with a number of alternative fantastic options to enjoy Victoria Falls and its surrounds:
- For those craving more wildlife and a little touch of luxury to end your trip, why not combine a trip to the Falls with a visit to Hwange National Park - Victoria Falls & Hwange.
- Extend your self-drive into Zimbabwe and combine Victoria Falls with Hwange National Park and possibly Matobo National Park or the Great Zimbabwe Ruins - Contact us for details.
What else can Travel Africa help you with?
Travel Africa specialises in all types of travel in Southern Africa.
Please enjoy looking through our website. Here are some other itineraries you might be interested in.