We have no doubt that southern Africa is the most romantic destination in the world. We met in southern Africa over 20 years ago, falling in love during a moonlit walk along one of Kwa-Zulu Natal’s endless white beaches. Something about being in southern Africa always seems to reignite the romance and so we’ve tried to distil some of the key ingredients that make southern Africa such a perfect destination for a honeymoon or romantic getaway.
Here are our 5 reasons for why southern Africa is the most romantic destination in the world:
1. Spoilt and pampered – a romantic getaway absolutely requires spoiling and pampering. Nobody does luxury lodge better than southern Africa, spoiling and pampering is their core business! So sit back and indulge in their incredible attention to detail and personal service – don’t miss out on an outdoor bath or shower, enjoy a magic spa treatment.
2. Mosquito nets – yes, mosquito nets neatly swept up over a bed make any room look incredibly romantic … coming back to your room at night, the nets let down and cocooning your bed …. Well say no more ….
3. Meals by firelight – good food is important but what takes it to the next level is a romantic meal eaten off white linen in a boma – usually an outdoor setting with a big campfire, situated under the night sky in the bush. Romantic locations are key to boma settings – by dry rivers beds, under magnificent trees, usually surrounded by lanterns.
4. Sleeping under the stars – romance equals starry skies. In Africa you not only get the widest most expansive skies in the world, choc-a-bloc filled with diamond twinkling stars … but if you’d like you can sleep under them too! Many lodges offer special sleep out decks – some on the roof of your chalets, others uniquely designed tree houses in secluded locations.
5. Lions roaring – so picture this … champagne (or gin and tonic) white sheets, rose petals, the shimmering cocoon of your mosquito net and in the distance the sounds of lions roaring. If you haven’t heard actual lions roaring before search them up on google – they are nothing like the MGM movie lion, instead their deep reverberating roars come up through the ground and move right through your body – they make the most amazing sound and to us embody Africa with all its romance!
Spend your romantic getaway or honeymoon being pampered and spoilt in a luxury lodge, immerse yourself in the incredible sights and sounds of the African bush, choose an adrenaline-filled adventure, stay in unique accommodation from guest houses to 5 star boutique hotels.
Travel Africa will custom build the perfect romantic getaway or honeymoon for you – catering to your personal tastes and interests, travelling style and budget, creating unforgettable honeymoon memories, and of course ensuring your honeymoon has all those special touches!
See our Honeymoon safaris page for more information